Martinez sacked

LONDON: Roberto Martinez’s three-year spell in charge of Everton is over, media reports said on Thursday.

The Spaniard has come under increasing criticism this season after a mediocre Premier League season that has left them 12th in the table.

According to the reports, Martinez failed to take training on Thursday ahead of the final game of the season against Norwich City on Sunday while the BBC and Sky Sports television said he had been sacked.

The team reached the semi-finals of the League Cup and FA Cup but Martinez’s side have under-performed in the league despite boasting a squad many regard as Everton’s best for many years.