Papaya is a tropical fruit that has a rich flavour, but is also very nutritious. These are some of the health benefits of papaya:
1. Papaya contains fibre that cleans the cholesterol from the arterial walls. And papayas enzymes ward off oxidation of fat cells, and keep them from clogging up the arteries.
2. Papain, the enzyme in papaya, improves digestion. It also contains insoluble fibre that promotes regular bowel movement.
3. When juiced, papaya is good for people who suffer from infections involving the colon because it flushes out pus and mucus.
4. Some enzymes in papaya have anti-inflammatory properties, which makes it beneficial to sufferers of joint aches and pains brought by arthritis. These enzymes make it less likely for people to suffer from osteoporosis and cancer.
5. Papayas are nutritious, contain few calories and give a satisfying filling. They are good for people who want to lose weight or who want to maintain their current weight.
6. Papayas are rich in vitamins A and C which boost the immune system. If you suffer from infections and health problems, it is recommended to consume them regularly.
7. Eating a papaya after waking up will help cure nausea and morning sickness among women.
8. Consuming papaya will help wounds and infections to heal quicker.
9. Raw papaya promotes regular menstruation and it is also highly recommendable for women who suffer from menstrual cramps, joint pain and upset stomach.
10. Traditional healers have used the seeds of the papaya to treat intestinal worms.
11. Papayas are rich in antioxidants that stop the excess free radicals from damaging the cells, which is something that speeds up the aging process.
12. Papayas can be also applied topically. If you suffer from acne or pimples, mash the fruit and use it as a facial mask. The enzyme papain exfoliates the cells and reveals a skin layer that is fresher and smoother.