Take a minute to just close your eyes and imagine yourself in the hills of Italy just enjoying a sunny afternoon. Most likely you’re sipping on a crisp glass of wine and enjoy some light food while just watching the day go by. Sounds like an enjoyable afternoon, doesn’t it? While I’m not off to Italy today, I am off to Arizona for a relaxing little weekend away from all of the work and stress in my daily life. I have never been to Arizona but I’m pretty excited to see some new sights. But if you’re home this weekend and you want to pretend like you’re in Italy, you should try this tasty Garlic and Basil Chicken with Tomato Mozzarella Salad and a big glass of wine.
This meal just screams summer and is great for a family meal or having some friends over on your patio. I love the flavor combination of fresh basil and hearty garlic cloves wrapped around grilled chicken. And I’m confident you will love it too!
Transform your weekend with this delicious dish and a glass of wine. You can really feel like you’re on a vacation, even if you don’t leave your backyard!
- 1 whole chicken, cut up
- Â½ cup fresh basil leaves
- 5 large cloves of garlic
- Â½ cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella pearls
- 12 ounces assorted grape and cherry tomatoes
- Rinse the chicken and place it into a large bowl or zip closure bag. Mince the basil leaves, reserving 4-5 for the salad, and crush the garlic and place into the bag or bowl. Add in Â½ cup olive oil, salt and pepper and the chicken. Toss the ingredients well to coat the chicken and allow the chicken to marinate for 30 minutes – 1 hour.
- Heat a grill or campfire to medium-high heat. Place the chicken onto a clean grate and cook for 35-45 minutes, or until the juices run clear. Flip the chicken throughout the cooking process.
- While the chicken is cooking, combine the tomatoes, mozzarella, remaining olive oil, basil and salt and pepper in a bowl. Toss to combine.
- Serve the chicken with the tomato mozzarella salad.